NieuwpoortThe name Nieuwpoort is derived from the Latin ‘Nova Portus’, freely translated as the ‘New Harbour’. Nieuwpoort is one of the smallest Dutch fortified towns and was founded around 1200 by the Lords of Liesveld and Langerak. Nieuwpoort had a part to play in the functioning of the old Hollandse Waterlinie. In the 17th century, on the recommendation of Prince William of Orange, Nieuwpoort was given ramparts and canals in a fortress with six bastions.
A pleasant walk along the fortifications can be combined with a visit to the Oudheidkamer [Antiquities Room] in the town hall, where the history of Nieuwpoort is relived. Nieuwpoort, with its protected townscape, is a part of the municipality of Molenwaard.